Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Homemade Granola Bars

Today's kitchen feat was homemade granola bars.  I've made these before and enjoyed them even though I didn't have all the ingredients.  My goal here was to satisfy that sweet-tooth and at least pack in some nutrients and fiber!  The nice thing about granola is that similar to trail mix, you can put most anything you like in it! I just scoured my cupboards for anything that sounded tasty.  This original recipe came from a March 2011 Fitness Magazine issue.  Here's my spin on it:

Ingredients:
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons ground or milled flaxseed
1/2 cup Ezekiel 4:9 cereal (or grape-nuts)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 egg
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil (solid at room temp, heat up if using this oil)
cranberries and raisins as desired
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
chocolate chips as desired (I used milk chocolate and white chocolate today)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line an 8x8 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.  (This is great because at the end there is virtually no clean up! 

In a large bowl mix first 6 ingredients.  Next Add egg, applesauce, honey, brown sugar and oil and mix well.  Mix in your desired add-ins (fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc.)

Spread mixture evenly over foil.  Bake for about 30 minutes until eges are golden brown.  Cool on wire rack, using the edges of the foil to remove the granola from the pan.  Cut into bars if you wish!

1 comment:

  1. I just made homemade granola bars for the first time last week! Different recipe, but they were so yummy. I wanted to try a different kind next time since they were a bit to peanutty for me. =) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete