Saturday, May 28, 2011

Add an Extra to Your Mexican Fiesta!

Approaching "D Day" has definitely slowed me down a bit in the home projects department.  The belly is ever growing and the heat is ever rising.  Roll, up, waddle, flop, down has become my never-ending nightly exercise routine which I will blame for the few naps I slipped into over this past week.  I am thankful that the "nesting" period happened a few weeks ago because it seems that now my body wants to enter a sort of hibernation period.  Snacking is at an all time high and reading on the couch has become my favorite activity of the day.  I have managed to pull out a few more scrapbook pages in an attempt to catch up before baby's arrival- a blissfully sedentary activity!

This week I did decide to try two new recipes from Southern Living magazine.  Both turned out pretty yummy and I think add a unique twist to any family's typical taco night.  If your family is anything like mine, we have tacos or enchiladas a few times month on those desperate occasions when you just happen to have one pound of ground beef in the freezer. Out of pure serendipity I had accidentally purchased a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles when I only meant to have the diced tomatoes and I was so happy to find that the dusty can could be put to use in one of the recipes below!

Spicy Queso Dip
1 small onion
1 tbsp oil
1 minced garlic clove
16 ounces pepper jack cheese (velveeta brand pepper jack if you can find it, I couldn't)
10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chiles
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro(optional)
Tortilla chips

1) cook the onion in hot oil until tender then add the garlic for another minute.  Remove from heat.
2) Combine the cheese (cubed) tomatoes (I think these should be drained a bit as mine was kind of watery), and onion in a microwaveable bowl.  Microwave for 5 minutes. Top with cilantro for decoration and serve with tortilla chips. Obviously you may need to stir it a bit to aid in the melting process during microwaving and afterward.  Makes approximately 3 cups.

Oven-baked Churros (yum yum and very easy)
17.3 ounces frozen puff pastry sheets thawed
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon (or more if you prefer like we do)
1/4 cup melted butter

1)Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Unfold pastry sheets and use pizza cutter to cut in half length wise.  Cut each half into 1 inch wide strips.  Place on lightly greased parchment paper on a baking sheet (I used pam to spray the parchment).  Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown- BE CAREFUL- the bottoms seem to burn easily so watch closely!
2) While pastry is baking, combine the sugar and cinnamon on a shallow plate.  Dip the pastry sheets in melted butter then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.  Let stand on wire rack until dry (~5 mins).  Makes 3 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, churros! I will try this one out for sure! (Can't handle spicyness in the queso though.)

    ReplyDelete