Saturday, April 16, 2011

Suds and Duds

 Whew...another week gone by! I tried my hand at another new craft: SOAPMAKING!  I attended a local soapmaking FUNshop and got to make my own natural soap!  There were so many choices when it came to picking out your essential oils, fats and other additives.  I caved in to my usual sweet-tooth craving and made my very own "Ande's Candies" scented soap.  I couldn't resist using the cocoa butter, cocoa powder, goat's milk and peppermint essential oil.  I was afraid that similar to my many Marble Slab or Cold Stone Creamery trips, my indulgent creation would flop.  You know what they say- "less is more"!  However, today when I removed the soap from the container and cut it into bars it already smells exactly like a giant Ande's Candy! I learned that you have to let soap cure for 2-4 weeks so that it won't be too soft and dissolve quickly in your shower.  I hope to wrap up some bars in cute way and share the wealth for fellow mint-chocolate lovers. Let the curing begin!


 Inspired by a super crafty friend (you know who you are), I also attempted a little sewing project.  She makes these adorable burp cloths and I wanted a make a few for baby G and will work on some more for my new mommy friends! My plan is to applique a cute "g" on the middle burp cloth.  I must say these came out much better than I anticipated but are still not very well made.  I will have to keep trying! I plan on making a nursing cover also and was thinking that a matching set would be super sweet!



The dresser project has not come along very far.  Removing old paint is a stinky job and I am trying to avoid those vapors!  On my yard sale adventure this morning I found another sturdy solid wood dresser that was FIVE dollars.  I couldn't resist that deal, afterall- baby G will need more than just 3 drawers right?  Plus, her first dresser is girly and cute and will likely be in her room for a long time.  If we are lucky enough to have another baby it will need a dresser to stay with the crib.  Here's a picture of the dressers in progress, but they look pretty horrible right now.  I hope we are able to show the "AFTER" picture sooner than later!

Dresser 1- unable to flip the picture for some reason.
Dresser 2 Before




No comments:

Post a Comment