Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Crib Project

My strategic yard sale plan last saturday worked like a charm. I purchased a crib for 20 dollars!  After many hours of sanding and painting, it is finished!  I am really happy with the way it turned out, although if you look closely you will see many imperfections.  We both really enjoyed learning a little bit about refinishing furniture and find it very satisfying to know that a lot of love and hard work went into the baby's bed.  I don't think either of us would have kept up the motivation if it wasn't for the fact that we know this is for our little baby G.  Not to mention the satisfaction of knowing you saved a good deal of money (despite the frequent trips to Lowe's)!  Here are a few pictures of the progress we made each day and then the final product:




Another quick project we tackled was a wildflower bed.  We just picked up a mix of wildflower seeds on one of those Lowe's trips and decided to turn a grassless area of the yard into a wildflower bed.  Unfortunately,  I fear that the area we chose does not get enough sunlight.  Only time will tell!  I am thinking of just sprinkling the seeds along the sunny parts of the yard that are near the fence to see if they have any success there.  At least they might not get mowed over!  Here's to putting minimal effort into last minute projects! 

Soon we shall tackle our next piece of furniture- the baby's dressing table!  I searched craiglist each day and came across a piece that I hope will be very cute when finished.  We had to do a bit of traveling to get it, but I am very pleased! It seems to be the perfect size for a changing table and it has a sweet little history behind it.  The man it was purchased from said it belonged to his grandparents originally and has been passed down over the years.  When we turned it over to load it up, we discovered little red crayon inscribed on the bottom stating "I love mommy and daddy- Miki".  Miki was apparently the man's now aging uncle.  How cute! It gave me the warm fuzzies that this will be just the right piece for Gloria.  You'll just have to wait and see if we can turn it into a shabby chic beauty!



1 comment:

  1. Great job! I'm impressed that you did that all within a week of buying it. The bedding is adorable too!!

    ReplyDelete